Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Recipe (Re)creation: Mom's Puffy Pancake




While the holidays are always joyful, they never fail to make me miss my mom dearly. My best attempt at keeping her here in spirit is to make her signature dishes throughout the holidays.  This puffy pancake was one of my absolute favorite breakfast treats growing up.  I would beg for it every weekend and my mom made it for me and my sister every Christmas morning without fail.  This morning I am channeling my mom and spoiling myself (and family) with this beautifully delicious breakfast.  It serves two very hungry people or three to four as a small breakfast.  It looks so impressive, but it's actually quite simple (shhh) and is sure to make your family and friends feel special.  Serve with powdered sugar, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, and any berries you have on hand.

Serves 2-4

Ingredients:

  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • Optional topping:
    • powdered sugar
    • fresh lemon juice
    • berries

Directions:

-Preheat oven to 400 degree F.
-Place the butter in a 9 inch round baking dish and place in the oven to melt.
-Brush the butter all over the bottom and sides on the dish.
-Whisk together the eggs, then add the flour, milk and salt and mix well.
-Pour into the dish and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and puffy.
-Serve immediately with lemon juice, powdered sugar, and berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment