Monday, May 19, 2014

Restaurant (Re)creation: SPQR's Gemelli with Green Spring Vegetables, Black Pepper + Ricotta Salata





My husband and I recently had date night at SPQR and I had the most divine dish.  It was a Gemelli pasta with green spring vegetables, mascarpone, black pepper and ricotta salata.  It was fresh and light, yet creamy and totally satisfying.  We both agreed that I ordered the best dish and I promptly devoured it.  Two days later, I decided to try it in my own kitchen.  My neighborhood Whole Foods was fresh out of mascarpone, so I used whole milk ricotta instead.  Otherwise, I tried to stick pretty true to SPQR's preparation.  This meal can be cooked in mere minutes and looks like it came straight from a Michelin star restaurant.  That sounds like a winning combination to me.  Hope you agree!

Serves 4-6

Ingredients:

  • 16 oz. Gemelli pasta
  • 1/2 lb. English peas, shelled
  • 1/4 lb. snow peas, sliced diagonally
  • 8-10 stalks of asparagus, sliced diagonally
  • 1/2 cup whole milk ricotta (or mascarpone)
  • 3-4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
  • Kosher salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • grated ricotta salata, for finishing

Directions:

-Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
-Shell the peas, and diagonally slice the snow peas and asparagus in 1/2 inch pieces.
-Add the Gemelli to the boiling water and cook for 2 minutes less than the package suggests.
-Add the peas and asparagus and cook the pasta and vegetables for an additional 2 minutes.
-Remove from heat, drain, and return to the cooking pot.
-Drizzle 3 tbsp. olive oil over the pasta and vegetables and season with salt and ample pepper.
-Scoop in 1/4 cup of ricotta and mix until well distributed.  
-Spoon the pasta onto plates and top with grated ricotta salata and freshly ground black pepper.
-Add a dollop or two of the remaining ricotta to the top of the pasta and enjoy immediately.

1911 Fillmore St.
San Francisco, CA
(415) 771-7779

No comments:

Post a Comment