Thursday, October 25, 2012

Recipe (Re)creation: Chard, Leek, Corn + Manchego Flatbread



This will be my last corn addition for the season- I'm just thrilled I keep finding it! This recipe is partially inspired by my favorite flatbread dish at Contigo, and partially inspired by a recipe from Smitten Kitchen.  One of my favorite things about Contigo is that they ALWAYS have a flatbread on the menu and it always has manchego cheese on it.  The fun part is, they add a new seasonal ingredient on top, so its a surprise every week.  I just got leeks and rainbow chard in my Albert & Eve delivery, so I decided to combine them (and add corn, of course).  In order to make it "weekday friendly," I cheated and used tortillas instead of making pizza dough, but it created the perfect crispy flatbread that I have been seeking. The result- OMG, this might be my favorite flatbread combination!  I know that is a bold statement, but you'll have to try it yourself to prove me wrong.  Take that as a challenge.

Serves 4

Ingredients:

  • 3 leeks, stalks removed
  • 1 bunch rainbow chard
  • 1 ear of corn, cut off the cob
  • 4 whole wheat tortillas 
  • 3/4 cup freshly shaved manchego
  • 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Olive oil

Directions:

-Preheat oven to 450 degree F.
-Cut the green stalks off the leeks, and cut the remaining white parts lengthwise.
-Next, cut those halves in 1/2 inch rounds.
-Soak leek slices in cold water to remove dirt and scoop them out onto a paper towel to dry.
-Wash and dry chard and cut into 1/2 inch ribbons.
-Heat a medium skillet over low heat and add 1 tbsp. olive oil.
-Toss in leeks and cover.  Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes.
-Add the chard and cook until the chard is tender.
-Next, add the corn and cook for 1-2 minutes.
-Season with salt & pepper.
-Meanwhile, brush tortillas with a scant amount of olive oil and place on a baking sheet.
-Sprinkle tortillas with manchego cheese shavings.
-Spoon the corn, leek, and chard mixture on the tortillas.
-Top with crumbled goat cheese and place in the oven.
-Cook for about 10 minutes, or until the tortillas begin to brown and the cheese melts.
-Serve immediately.

*Any extra chard, leek & corn mixture makes for an excellent side dish*

No comments:

Post a Comment