|~ My Spiedini (Re)creation (both pictured above) ~|
Serving Size: 12 Skewers
For chicken marinade:
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and sliced
- 1 bay leaf crumbled
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 splashes sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 loaf country white bread, crusts removed, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cut cilantro leaves, coursely chopped
- 12 8-inch bamboo skewers
For the marinade:
Put all ingredients in a food processor and blend until coursely chopped.
For the spiedini:
Soak the skewers in warm water (so they don't catch on fire!).
Place cubed chicken in a mixing bowl and mix with 2 tbsp (or more) of the marinade.
Place bread cubes in another bowl and toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste.
Skewer the pieces of chicken, bread, and onions on each skewer and repeat.
Brush more marinade on the skewers before grilling.
Grill over a BBQ or grill pan until the chicken is fully cooked and the bread is crispy, rotating the skewers so they are cooked uniformly.
Top with extra marinade, a healthy splash of olive oil, and more fresh cilantro.
Note: If you are a carb fiend, you can make a few extra skewers of just the grilled bread (its heavenly)
3011 Steiner St (@ Union)
San Francisco, CA