- 4 oz. Caña de Cabra (or other mild, young goat cheese)
- 4 small 1/4-inch think slices of rustic bread (I use Judy's Lovesticks)
- 1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil, plus more for brushing toasts
- kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Sherry vinegar
- 2 tsp. minced shallot
- 1 1/2 tbsp. hazelnut oil
- 1/2 medium fennel bulb, halved lengthwise and thinly slice crosswise
- 3-4 oz. wild arugula
- 4 oz. strawberries, stemmed and quartered
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 4 basil leaves, roughly torn
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place bread slices on a baking sheet.
-Brush both sides with olive oil and bake in the oven until golden, about 3 minutes per side.
-Remove from oven, set aside and preheat broiler.
-Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, shallots and salt.
-Let the shallots macerate for at least 10 minutes.
-Then whisk in the olive oil and hazelnut oil, season with salt, and set aside.
-In a large bowl, toss together the arugula, fennel, strawberries, hazelnuts, and basil.
-Slice the cheese into two rounds and place on top of two toasts each.
-Place under the broiler and broil until cheese begins to brown, about 2 minutes.
-Toss salad with enough vinaigrette to coat and season with salt.
-Distribute salad onto two plates and place a warm goat cheese toast atop each helping.
1320 Castro Street
San Francisco, CA