Saturday, June 23, 2012

Recipe (Re)creation: Homemade Refrigerator Pickles

~From top: pickles on day 1, pickles on day 3 ~

I recently discovered Omnivore Books in my neighborhood and came across a book signing + pickle making class featuring food blogger/cookbook writer Marisa McClellan. Not only did I buy her fabulous book, Food in Jars, but I also had the pleasure of making my own homemade refrigerator pickles.  They are incredibly tasty and are deceptively easy to make.  It can be your new party trick.  Homemade pickles? Don't mind if I do...

Ingredients

  • 5 peppercorns
  • 2-3 shakes of dill seed
  • 1 garlic clove, peeled
  • 1 english cucumber, quartered
  • 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 pinch pickling salt

Directions


-Put sliced cucumbers and all dry ingredients in a mason jar.
-Boil the water and vinegar in a pot.
-Pour the water + vinegar brine into the jar with the cucumbers.
-Seal the jar and refrigerate for 3-4 days.
-Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment